This late-Winter and Spring conference season has been an emotional roller-coaster. This past November, I saw how my research was aligning itself into a pattern for me to write my dissertation. I came up with several arguments for what I understand the verbal aspect to be for the Greek synthetic Perfect tense-form.
I needed to obtain some vetting for my arguments and feedback for the way I collated them into a comprehensive group from a variety of professionals. I sent in several proposals to various biblical and linguistic conferences to obtain an opportunity to present my ideas to the kind of professionals I needed to hear from. It was a busy time of reading proposal requirements, filling out the online forms, and twisting my abstracts and papers to fit the various requirements for each conference. Some of the conferences would begin before I was done sending in proposals to the others.
Altogether, I sent eleven proposals for this academic year. So far, two have come back with rejection letters, and two were accepted. I presented an argument from morphology and a model of verbs to the two conferences who accepted, and received a variety of types of feedback. The results were that my paper on verb models needs some more work, and the argument from morphology paper is publish-worthy.
All the while, I had a chapter to turn in connecting the dots for the above arguments. This chapter was well-received and this gave me some encouragement while I was getting proposal rejections from the various conferences. Now is the time to work on putting together the corpus, so that I can write my methodology chapter before I need to write my next presentations over the remaining arguments.
This is the year to start getting my ideas out there with the hope of feedback before my final write-up of the dissertation. I also hope to get a couple of articles published from a couple of my presentations. It is time to begin the job hunt as well, so I am starting the application process to see where that leads.